Thursday, July 9, 2009

fast pizza dough



I had a request from my friend Donna to send her this recipe for quick pizza dough. This is my number one secret in the kitchen for quick, go-to entertaining food. If I get a last minute invite to a potluck or last minute dinner guests I can always whip this up and use whatever random ingredients I have in the fridge to top off pizzas or focaccia.

I first received the recipe from my friend's mom who uses it for quick bread or dinner rolls when you dont have the time for all of the raising and proofing and just want homebaked bread.

I reccomend prebaking the crusts on a pizza stone for 8 min before topping.

Pizza crust recipe

Pizza Dough

1 pky yeast

1 c. warm water

1 T sugar

1 t salt

2 T oil

21/2-3 c flour

Dissolve the yeast in water, mix in the sugar, salt, and oil. Mix in about 2 1/2 cups of flour. Dough is still a little sticky, turn out on a floured surface and knead in about 1/2 c more flour, just till you can handle the dough and it doesn't stick to your hands.

For pizza, I let the dough rest while I get all the pizza fixins together. Then I spread it with oil covered hands on a pizza stone, cover with toppings and bake at 400 for about 15-20 min.

For bread I shape it in a french bread loaf shape, slice the top diagonally a few times, let it rise in a warm place (I heat my oven to the lowest temp available) for about 20 min. Then bake it at 375 for about 20-25 min till it starts browning.

Ooohhh, yummy yummy!

Love you,

Mom

[i left the "love you, mom" part because its just so sweet and always makes me love the food connections between moms and daughters--and daughters friends. That is what passing on recipes is for me: little bits of love in everyone's kitchen]

I will post pictures of my various toppings--if I can ever get the camera out before the pizza is all gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment