Monday, July 6, 2009

roasted beets


I dont know what I will do with them but while I was roasting the garlic for the rosemary red soup i decided to roast a few beets in the oven. I havent ever done this before but the flavor is out of this world. I could barely get the skin off before I had to bite right into the beet. Unlike steamed or broiled beets (i will post basalmic roasted beets recipe soon) these beets roasted in their skins had a sweet smoky even earthy flavor--similar to baked sweet potatoes.

I scrubbed the beets, careful not to puncture the skin. I chopped the tops leaving at least 1" as well as leaving the "tails" on. I placed the beets on the rack in a preheated 350 degree oven. They took about 1 hour + or - to roast (similar to baked potatoes). The skin got tough and the sweet beet inside sort of shrank. I determined they were done when there were air pockets between the skin and the meat (and the tails fell off).

With a small paring knife i removed the tops and skin. They smelled so smokey and sweet I had trouble waiting and had to bite right in. I ate the first one like an apple--I couln't help myself.

I dont know how I will serve these--maybe chopped over a bed of spring greens or sliced thin with goat cheese on home made focaccia. oh how I love to dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment